Now and then

I have been thinking more about heaven these past few days.  As I "number my days" and approach another birthday, I realize that I most likely left behind at least half of my lifespan, if my death is to happen within the statistical range slotted for my gender, on my continent.  The thought that I am most likely past the midpoint of my life, and how little I have accomplished within it, is a most sobering subject to ponder.  But what if I fall outside the carefully drawn statistical range of my generation, and I die sooner?  How close to heaven am I really then?

My search for accomplishment has nothing to do with success that is measured in dollars or earthly accolades.  I have no ambition to assemble all my faculties into high gear and invade the beaten hallways of some lauded university, to extend the length of my title a few letters to the right (although I have no objection to such pursuit by others). The allure of fame, as observed in the parade of celebrities flaunting their talent on the world stage or on the home stage, has also evaded my life.  What I mean by accomplishment is this:  how much of my life has been lived for the glory of God?  How well have I loved this awesome God who has given me everything-all that I am and all that He is- and has made me a citizen of His abode?  How much of my affection is allotted to Him, and how much of my attention has been directed on my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

I think about His love and have nothing but wonder that Christ would value me that much.  He left heaven, a place of such perfection, such joy and such exuberant love that my thoughts can only explore the periphery of this sublime expanse.  He traded that for this - 33 years of constant exposure to misunderstanding, rejection by family and friends, betrayal from within His inner circle, and death on a cross, a form of punishment so cruel that today we have devised none other yet to surpass its gruesomeness.  He signed up for all that-beside the physical realities of no earthly home, hunger, thirst, weariness, and the never ending needs of the masses...  and all that for the "whoever"!

I think about heaven more because I realize that now, more than yesterday, my time is short.  Time lo love my God with all my being and with all my might.  Time to set my face "like a flint"  on the pursuit of the holy.  Time to love  my neighbour as myself, bearing all things, believing all things, hoping all things, enduring all things.  Time to do as Jesus would, in my city, my country, and my world.  The time is seek the Lord is almost finished.  The time to sit at His feet, listening to His beautiful voice and drowning in the joy of His presence, is slipping away fast.  Yes, it is true that I will love Him for all eternity... but this "late great planet" is the crucible for my faith.  This brief moment of time that comprises my lifespan, this life of which half is likely already spent, is where I choose my master and pursue my choice.  Eternity begins here, and Jesus is my Lord-yesterday, today and forever.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).





Christmas

 Mary drew her Son close to her breast, the smell of His newborn skin enveloping her senses.  She could feel His breath exhaled in a soft mi...